ENVIRONMENTAL PERSPECTIVE ON MENSTRUAL HYGIENE
As it is said and done from the old times that a women must maintain the menstrual hygiene for better health, but the fact that environmental hygiene is also of utmost importance is often neglected when it comes to this, already a taboo topic.
Environmental impact caused by sanitary waste is one of the significant topics in discussions today. A plastic, industrially manufactured, disposable sanitary pad requires about 500–800 years to decompose. Thousands of tons of disposable sanitary waste is generated every month all over the world. Incineration is a technique to dispose of menstrual waste. But the burning of pads releases gases that affect health and environment, where the chemical dioxins are toxic and carcinogenic.
Even most tampons contain chemicals such as dioxin, chlorine and rayon. While the products sit in landfills, these chemicals get soaked up by the earth and are released as pollution into groundwater and air.
This waste is toxic and hazardous to human health as well.
Isn’t it time to make the eco-friendly switch, yet?
Below are some facts about the safest period product for the environment:
- The most effective and eco-friendly alternative are the menstrual cups, also the most cost-effective and inexpensive, with a lifetime up to 10 years without any health hazards. It saves a person who menstruates 2,400 pads or tampons in their lifetime.
- Menstrual cups are estimated to have less than 1.5% environmental impact, which can be otherwise huge in case of disposal of other period products.
- Silicone, which most menstrual cups are made of, is derived from silica, a type of sand that goes to its original state once it degrades and is an abundant material on earth that isn’t hazardous to the environment.
- Medical grade silicon has the lowest chances to contract any vaginal infections, diseases or itching out of all products currently available in the market.
- Since the cup holds the menstrual blood at the cervix, it prevents the blood from flowing through the vaginal canal, allowing hassle-free sexual intercourse.
- Extremely travel-friendly, allowing it to remain for hours without any discomfort or worry. Does not need to be changed often.
- Usually leak-proof, which ample storage and does not emit an odour.
The environmental benefits of this product will create a significant, positive impact on the planet, where every woman’s contribution to this transition from disposable to sustainable menstrual products matters. The final implementation of this product will also benefit society by employing rural women empowerment.
Officer – Business Development
Mobile No: 908103884
Mail Id: email@example.comAmi Polymer Pvt Ltd